Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Belly Rules the Mind

The blog title is from an old Spanish proverb that most certainly describes the strong bond between my belly and mind.  And my mind (aka belly) has been having some serious desire to spend a little more time out of the kitchen and in restaurants.

I was able to find a frozen yogurt place I actually like, Fraiche (note: I am not a fan of ice cream or frozen yogurt at all - shakes/malts not included)!  I took a first past at the new-ish SliderBarCafe in Palo Alto, made a Giants pre-game stop to Little Skillet on Tuesday and enjoyed one of my favorite cold weather grey day San Francisco meals at Chez Maman.  With the rain and drizzle around town the latter half of the past week it certainly called for some delicious pasta to-go from Aperto and my favorite peanut brittle from Baked to snack on around the house.

The low light of the week was a meal was over at Dosa on Fillmore.  So disappointed in the quality of the food and amateur service that I couldn't even bring myself to take pictures of the dishes, the two most impressive dishes were an app and dessert, which isn't a good sign in my book.

As I was running some errands on the peninsula I was caught with a burger and shake craving and met a friend over at SliderBarCafe on University Ave. in Palo Alto.  We got aggressive and over-ordered, faced with 8 sliders, a plate of chicken wings, a salad (I didn't order that!) and a vanilla shake we did our best to finish half the meal.   I found the sliders to be so-so and the wings a little above average.  The two sliders that stood out to me were the kobe beef slider and the Memphis style bbq pulled pork slider.  The vanilla shake was average too, nothing mind blowing.  So all and all a pretty average of over-priced meal ($50+).




After we wrapped up our meal we took a quick walk (nope I lied, we drove the 5+ blocks!) over to Fraiche.  My desire to go here was more from what I had read about the founder and her entrepreneurial spirit and success with the business, but how could I not give it a try?!  A noted above, not a fan of ice cream or frozen yogurt usually, but I couldn't get enough of my plain frozen yogurt topped with ollaliberries.



The next day was a big day in the world of San Francisco sports, game 3 of the NLCS, Giants against the Phils (Giants are now World Series bound baby!).  On our way over to the game we intentionally walked down the narrow Rich street and had our first go at Little Skillet where the menu is simple and limited with a focus on chicken and waffles.  In addition to ordering the chicken and waffles my roomie Doug and I split the grits with andouille and cheddar.  The chicken and waffles were great (not amazing).  Syrup + Crystal Sauce + Fried Chicken + Waffle is a flavor combination that works well for my taste buds.  The grits were a little runnier than I would have liked, but the andouille sausage helped bring it up a level.



The grey overcast weather got my desires riled up for some warm comfort French comfort food so I headed down the hill to Chez Maman to have some good grub.  When it comes to French food I always find myself hunting for a great French onion soup, some mussels and frites or the croques madame.  My favorite pit stop for these dishes is Cafe de la Presse in Union square, but Chez Maman is a close second and not far away from the apartment.

I love being able to pull up at the bar less than 8 feet away from where my food is being made and ordering some deliciousness.  I opted for the French onion soup and the mussels in white wine and garlic with frites as well as the a Kroenbourg.  Chez Maman never ever disappoints as they consistently dish out great grub.  The only time I find issue is with their to-go food and soggy fries, but let's be honest who gets thin crispy to-go fries right?






I took a quick walk a few doors down to Baked, a great local neighborhood bakery full of tasty desserts and sweets.  While I fancy the cupcakes from time to time, the one thing I can't stay away from is their peanut brittle.  I would love to hear if you have had better or tasted Bake's and have different thoughts.


Dining on the hill yet another night I opted to get some takeout from Aperto.  I hadn't been in ages and have only been for their delicious brunch setting.  I rarely crave pasta, but Aperto is a great place for some good pasta.  I opted for the Tagliolini "Peparti with garlic, smoked bacon, jalapeno, roast tomato sauce, arugula, butter, pecorino and grana cheeses as well as their Cesar salad.  The pasta was delicious and the smoked bacon and jalapeno's were an amazing compliment to the Tagliolini pasta.



So what's up, have you been to any of these places?  Are there dishes that you love that I haven't tried?  Let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment